Just as I think I am getting back into a routine with this blog something happens and throws everything off. Right now I’m sure everyone is aware of what is currently going on in the world with COVID-19 and due to how it has been effecting all kinds of things it has meant my attention has been elsewhere. Here is what happened during my week 16th March to 22nd March.

I was in work on Monday and had a coach booked for the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Getting up for my coach was a bit of a struggle but luckily I managed to get comfy and fall back to sleep for the journey into London. Due to the news, and the fact the number of COVID-19 cases within the UK were increasing Victoria Coach Station was eerily quiet.

Once I got to Cambridge I met up with my Dad but as he was finishing up in work I headed over to get some shopping as my Mum said there were a few things she was running low on. One of the things on her list was some toilet rolls which seems to be an item in high demand here at the moment, luckily I was shopping at the right time they were just restocking them!

Whilst I was picking up the bits for my Mum I decided that it would be nice to have a BBQ for dinner and luckily I managed to get a few different meats, burgers and sausages for us to be able to do it.

On Wednesday I had a bit more of a relaxed day which involved drinking a lot of tea and scrolling through the news endlessly as advise around what we should avoid doing was being issued more frequently.

In the evening my Dad and I took their dogs for a walk around the village it was quite nice to get out and stretch my legs a bit.

Mum made a roast dinner and the rest of the evening was spent watching videos on YouTube.

On Thursday I went with my Mum and Dad to attempt to do some food shopping with them however due to the panic buying that has been going on the options were very limited! Once we got back my afternoon was spent checking the latest advice from the government, and the status of the coaches heading back to Cardiff. It wasn’t until a bit late on in the afternoon I received an e-mail to advise that my coach had been cancelled on Friday which left me a little bit stranded.

As I was meant to be travelling back to Cardiff on Friday and my options for travelling back were becoming more limited I managed to speak with work and arrange to stay were I was until Monday when my Dad would be able to drive me back to Cardiff.

Once I had sorted out what was going on with my travel arrangements I felt a bit more relaxed about the situation and spent a bit of time playing with my parents dogs.

On Saturday I spent a bit of time setting up my laptop to be able to work remotely. This ended up taking me quite a bit of time as my laptop ended up needing to updates and all kinds of different things before I was finally able to get logged in to the systems.

Sunday was Mother’s Day and I wasn’t originally expecting to spend this with my Mum so it was quite nice to actually be able to spend the day with her. My day was spent attempting to do all the things my Mum normally does, I made cups of tea, did the hoovering, made a roast dinner and also worked on the garden.

Plus I had to do some extra bits with my work systems to confirm they were up and running, once we knew they were all fine I was told that I could work my normal shifts next week and wouldn’t need to rush back from Cambridge.

This week is going to be very strange with the new measures put in place by the government. But we can only take things one day at a time and hope that people start following the advise and rules we are being given!

One response to “Week 12 of 2020 – COVID-19, Travel Chaos and Extended Visit”

  1. Thank you for sharing about your experience! I hope you and your family are staying safe and healthy


Leave a Reply


Design a site like this with WordPress.com
Get started